Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Mirena IUD is STUCK

Dang it! I went for my yearly visit today to the GYN. I asked if they could remove the IUD, because I was tired of the not so pleasant side effects and wanted a different form of birth control. I assume the position after sitting half naked in the exam from 45 minutes for him to come in. He has the forceps things and pull the string...the forceps loose their grip. He tugged several time on the string trying to get it out and he could not keep a grip on it. He then left me in the room in "the position" for another 20 minutes or so, I was bored so I gave everyone on facebook a play by play LMAO. He comes back in with the jaws of life tools to get it out. He pulled and pulled again and tried prying the damn thing out. It did not budge .Apparently it really likes me. It hurt like hell and I felt like he was trying to give me a hysterectomy right then and there. After pulling with no avail he gets up and tells me to get dressed and meet him in his office.

I meet him in his office and he tells me I need an ultrasound to see where the IUD is. He said there are several things that could be happening. 1. My cervix just won't let it out. 2. It is embedded in my uterine lining 3. It is embedded in my uterus from the scar tissue from my c-section. If numbers 2 or 3 are the case it could possibly have caused permanent damage to my uterus affecting my ability to become pregnant again.

This information has me freaking out!. I WANT to have another baby at some point and if my decision to have the IUD placed in the 1st place leads to my infertility I will have a very hard time dealing with this.

I know most of my friends and family have their own options about Jack and me having another baby, but this is our life and we both really really want another child. Not saying now is the right time, and I do not plan on getting pregnant right now. What happens will happen though. After the IUD is removed we planned on trying a different form of birth control that would allow me to have regular cycles again.

Anyways, I am freaking out, my female parts hurt quite badly right now, and I have to wait almost 2 weeks for the stupid ultrasound! I have an appointment for an ultrasound on the 30th.


I noticed that this post pops up a lot during google searches on this subject. Welcome to my blog LOL Just an update for all the women franticly researching this issue as I did. I believe it was the end of January I did have to go to the hospital, be put to sleep and have it removed. The entire thing with my insurance cost me about $800-$1000 (still haven't paid all the bills)to have it taken out. I had to pay my doctor's office nearly $500 before they would even schedule the appointemnt. Thankfully I work at the hospital my procedure was done at so, I was spared that expense. Since the procedure I have also received bills from the doctor who put me to sleep and pathology. My IUD was NOT imbedded once he went in. He said he diolated my cervix and it fell right out. WTF! I know right....that could have been done in the doctors office. Anyways while he was there he did a D/C and sent the tissue to pathology apprently. I was a little sore the 1st day or 2, but nothing horrible. 3 or 4 days out everything was fine. The very next month the horrible cramping periods I had pre-IUD were back. Boo!

Update number 2: 4/11/12 Anyone worried about getting pregnant after IUD removal. I am currently 35 weeks pregnant due for a c-section (more than likely) on May 8th! Yay! I got pregnant about 7 months after I had the IUD removed with no issue. Good Luck to anyone reading this :-)

Update number 3: 7/18/12 I'm crazy...to scared to make things perminent, and not a fan of shots, pills, or things implanted in my arm so, I took the plundge and had another IUD place about a month ago. I go tomorrow to have the strings trimmed shorter. Fingers crossed when I have it replaced in 5 years I have no issue. I've had random spotting nearly every day or 2 very little though since it was placed no real period though. No cramping or any othe issues.

21 comments:

  1. Thank you Jennifer for the update. I just got home from the Dr. She tried removing mine (it's past the 5 yr mark) and it wouldn't come out. We'll see tomorrow what happens with mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your update. I am in the same situation. I've had 3 ultrasounds and two doctors try to remove it. I'm so scared. Your update helped me feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. i only had my iud for 4 months and its stuck in my uterus and laying wrong. im 23 and gave birth to my first child on 11/11/11. im scared to have this removed. im scared that i wont be able to have more kids in the future. i go to the doctor in 2 days for my GYN to try to remove it again. but most likely i will have to have it surgically removed. this makes me feel better now that i have read your story

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your post- I too just came home from the Doctor and am scheduled for surgery to remove mine. The OB-GYN said he would never recommend an IUD for women who have had c-sections due to this risk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found out today that my IUD is also stuck. (I went in to have it taken out because we're ready to start trying for a second child) I'm scheduled for an ultra sound in two weeks, but as I sit here scared to death, I don't know how I'm going to wait that long to get this thing OUT of me! There are so many things that I'm afraid of here, however, nothing scares me more than the possibility of infertility. Thank you for writing this into your beautiful blog. It's somewhat "comforting" to hear from another 1 in 1000 people that get theirs stuck.

    If anyone else that posted to the blog entry as a result of their IUD getting stuck, I'd really appreciate an update to try and wrap my head around what I could expect.

    By the way, I also had an emergency c-section... Had I known that this was going to be the outcome, I wouldn't have thought twice about going another direction.

    I'll be sure to post an update (if you don't mind, Jennifer) when I know what's going on. Thank you again for writing about this. You're the only person I could find that has written about this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went today to have mine removed and replaced its been 5 years and guess what....it wont come out....this is my 3rd IUD no problems before......I go Thurs for a Hysteroscopy to have it removed.....today was excruciating....I dread Thurs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry- could you share with me how you felt after your Hysteroscopy? Were they successful with that method? I'll have mine on Thursday, and I'm worried about them not being able to remove it or the effects that I'll experience afterward.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. i have had my maraina for 9 months now and i have had problems fRom day one when i went to my ob to have ir removed the Dr told me she wouldn't take it out because my body needed to get used to it now the string is missing and i have to get a ultrasound to find it i have had so much pain and i bleed heavily 2to 3 weeks out of each month and have back pain that wraps from back to front while im bleeding i have the worst side affects im going to have this removed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I posted on July 2 about finding out my IUD was stuck. I'm now waiting (After 2 separate attempts to get it out) for surgery to have it removed on the 16th.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is very comforting to find that many others have experienced the same situation that I'm currently experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i to have the merena in for about 10 months. Had heavy bleeding with clots cramps and pinching. Called Dr. for them to tell me you will be fine. Go in for utra sound and its displaced. I told the Doc. take it out its not working. She tries to tug about 5 times and its stuck.I have also had 2 c-sections and also have to go in to have it removed. I have been bleeding since the 7th of Sep. I see a pattern here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im actually on google right now tryin to find a way to get this stupid thing out of me!! Im only 19 i have a precious baby boy who will be 2 in march so i deff. want more children! I've had my IUD for a year&a half&its been causing MAJOR pain i bleed for months at a time&i work as a CNA lifting big old people for a living, so it hurts me worse than usual..i got tired of all these complications&decided to get it removed..called me gyn&he says since i dont have medicaid i have to pay $100 to get it removed..So i called the ER&they arent specialized for that type of stuff?? Soooo called the health dept. $they said they could do it for FREE!! joyyy right?? wrong..went to get it removed i was SOOOOOO excited..turned out its STUCK! So called my gyn&pretty much begged him to remove it&let me pay $50&then another $50 my next check..nope now he wants $100 to remove it plus another $180 for an ultrasound to see why its stuck!! Tried to apply for medicaid but apparently i make too much money? Soooo i tlkd to a friend at work she said she removed hers herself..so i tried it&for one the strings were like buried in there some how&i had to kinda dig em out to attempt..either wayy its still stuck&i pretty much cant do a damn thing abt it!!!! HELPPPP!! how can i get this stupid thing out???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should qualify for share of cost medicaid...I used to work in an ER and seen people do this all the time. Go in the 1st of the month to meet the share of cost then the gyn should be able to see you.

      Delete
  13. A friend of mine had this IUD, after a couple of months she's been experiencing sorts of negative effects due to this device. I did a little digging and bumped up with this information "mirena iud lawsuit". I never thought that this device can cause this much trouble to its consumer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this!

    I've had a scan and two attempts at having mine removed.. its still in there giving me awful pain :( i'm being referred again to get my cervix dilated and i am seriously scared! I just want it out NOW x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just went in to have my mirena removed its been almost a year have been having crazy cycles and bleeding about every 2 weeks for about a week each time. And they couldnt get it removed 2 doctors tried today so they got me in for an ultrsound luckily they had an opening today so now waiting to hear back from the dr to see what they found out. Now having really bad cramping and pelvic pain they also told me it could have healed with the scar tissue from my c-section. Crossing my fingers I can get this thing out soon so I can feel normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also went to have my iud removed and replaced with a new one after my five years were up. After several tries with different utensils my doctor was able to shuffle me directly in to the ultrasound room. They did an internal ultrasound to locate it and then the tech used an external one at the same time the doctor was trying to remove it. Turns out it is stuck in my c section scar. I am going in for a hysteroscopy tomorrow and she is going to remove it and replace it with a new one during this time. After reading these posts I do feel much better about the surgery and hope the recovery will be minimal. After the pain I went through when she tried to remove it in the office I am thankful that I will be asleep for this! As much of an inconvenience all of this is causing mentally and financially I would still recommend the mirena as the last 5 years with it have been awesome! Other than the initial bleeding from the original insertion I haven't had a period for 5 years!! Love it! Hopefully i will have the same experience with the next one. Thank you all for yours posts. Very nice knowing this problem is not too rare.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm curious I went to the dr today and get mmy iud removal cuz I been havin cramps...my moodd swings, gain weight...when the dr try to to remove it ..mind u..its hurts like helllllll....like somebody stab me in the stomach...but no luck...she try another forcpes...still no luck...I'm due for appt for an ultrasound..and i never had an c section...had it vaginally ..its stuck..and I'm scared and worry...whhat might cuase ?? Any ladies for your advice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank You for this info.....I have an appointment today to have mine removed. .. they have to dialate my cervix. ... wish me luck. ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg this is a relief I went in to mine removed I've had two c sections and it wouldn't budge everytime she pulled it felt like she was pulling an organ out it hurt so bad and when she let go it would retract so I have to get a ultra sound she thinks its embedded in my uterus. After reading this its prob in my scar tissue I'm so scared I really wanted it out so u could have another baby does anyone know after having it surgically removed how long till u can't try again ill update u after my ultrasound

    ReplyDelete